People’s United Community Foundation donates $50,000 to American Red Cross for Irene relief efforts

first_imgPeople’s United Bank,People’s United Community Foundation has announced a $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross to support the disaster relief efforts that continue throughout New England in the wake of Tropical Storm Irene. Although Tropical Storm Irene has long passed, thousands of individuals, families and businesses are still feeling the effects of the storm’s wrath. President Obama signed disaster declarations in five of the six states served by People’s United including Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont. In response, People’s United Community Foundation has made a $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross to support their ongoing relief efforts in New England. Since Tropical Storm Irene made landfall earlier this month, the American Red Cross has served more than 600,000 meals, distributed more than 35,000 clean up kits and 30,000 comfort kits. They have also provided more than 61,000 overnight stays at 581 shelters, as well as other support services provided by Red Cross volunteers and staff. Dianne Auger, CEO for the American Red Cross Connecticut and Rhode Island Region, expressed the need to continue Tropical Storm Irene relief efforts in New England and the ongoing support that is still needed from community partners. ‘Long after the storm passed, people continue to deal with the effects of Irene. The Red Cross worked to provide shelter from the storm, to ease the cleanup, and is working to link families to long-term recovery resources. With this generous support from People’s United, we are able to be there for our neighbors coping with the effects of this damaging storm.’ ‘Although most communities have since recovered from Tropical Storm Irene, there are still many neighborhoods throughout our footprint struggling from its aftermath,’ stated Vincent Santilli, Executive Director of People’s United Community Foundation. ‘We understand the long term effects that this storm will have on families and businesses, and support the ongoing relief efforts of the Red Cross to ensure the needs of our communities are met.’ People’s United Community Foundation:Established in 2007, People’s United Community Foundation was formed to help support programs and activities that enhance the quality of life for citizens in the communities that People’s United Bank serves. With special emphasis on programs designed to promote economic self-sufficiency, education and improved conditions for low-income families and neighborhoods, the funding priorities of the Foundation include: community development, youth development, and affordable housing.  About the American Red Cross:The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation’s blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization ‘ not a government agency ‘ and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org(link is external) or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org(link is external).last_img read more

Garden City Man Sentenced for Killing Mother

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A man who fatally strangled his 88-year-old mother in their Garden City home and then tried to commit suicide three years ago was sentenced Monday to 17 years to life in prison.A jury had found James Olsen guilty in Nassau County court of second-degree murder.“This tragedy could have been averted if Mr. Olsen had just reached out for help instead of lashing out against his ailing mother,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said.Prosecutors said that Olsen was a live-in caretaker for his mother, Ruth, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, when he used a necktie to strangle her on the morning of April 21, 2011.Police found Olsen with self-inflicted slash wounds to his wrists before he was arrested.last_img read more

Bay Shore Pedestrian Fatally Hit by Car

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 57-year-old man was was struck and killed by a car while crossing a road in his hometown of Bay Shore on Wednesday night.Suffolk County police said John Green was crossing Fifth Avenue when he was hit by a southbound Hyundai Elantra near Brook Avenue at 8 p.m.The victim was taken to Southside Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.The unnamed driver and her passenger were not injured. Third Squad detectives impounded her vehicle for a safety check and are continuing the investigation.last_img read more

PLSA calls for better human capital reporting in FRC feedback

first_imgAsset managers and proxy advisers should hold some responsibility for pension funds’ stewardship, the UK pension fund association has said in its response to the Financial Reporting Council’s (FRC) draft strategy for 2016-17.The Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association’s (PLSA) submission addressed corporate governance and reporting, and investor stewardship, among other aspects on which the FRC sought feedback.The consultation was on the FRC’s plans for the first year of its new three-year strategy. It closed on Friday. On the topic of investor stewardship, the PLSA said it supported the FRC’s focus on three key constituencies of the investment sector – asset owners, asset managers and proxy advisers – but that “differences in stewardship capacity” across these groups should be acknowledged.This is because many pension funds do not have the resources to dedicate significant time to stewardship issues, “part of the reason why asset managers and proxy advisers are contracted in the first place”.“These industries should hold some responsibility to highlight the importance of stewardship to their clients, even if the pension funds do not raise it themselves,” said the PLSA.The association welcomed the FRC’s work on corporate culture and board effectiveness, and specifically on succession planning. However, it called on the regulator to do more to improve corporate reporting on “human capital” and environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance.“We would like to highlight the importance of ‘human capital’ to culture and advise the FRC to monitor practices and reporting in relation to companies and the people who work for them,” said the association.Human capital represents an asset estimated to be worth “billions”, but it is also a source of major strategic risks in the form of industrial disputes, employee misconduct or poor customer experience, it said. The FRC is the body responsible for the UK Corporate Governance and Stewardship Codes, which set out best practice for companies and institutional investors, respectively.In December, it announced plans to publicly rate pension funds and asset managers on their level of engagement with the Stewardship Code.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to: FRC ‘Draft Plan & Budget and Levy Proposals 2016/17’last_img read more

High flyers: 2019 set to be the year of the Brisbane skyhome

first_imgMore from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus14 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market14 hours agoThe kitchen in the apartment at 5/2 Scott St, Kangaroo Point.He said the buyers were not downsizing as the property was bigger than the house they had previously lived in, but they were looking for convenience, security and privacy.“People are consistently making the decision to get out of big homes that require a lot of maintenance,” Mr Caulfield said.“I had one couple looking in Walan whose house had been broken into twice in six months. They were sick and tired of having a big, beautiful home that was a target for thieves and that’s what’s motivated them to look at a big apartment eight levels off the ground.“With improved convenience, security and privacy, better views and more obtainable luxury inventory, is luxury apartment living becoming the new Australian dream?” This apartment at 5/81 Moray St, New Farm, sold for $6.5m in 2018.Knight Frank Australia head of residential research Michelle Ciesielski said Brisbane’s premium market was benefiting from the growing demand from downsizers looking for easy-to-maintain homes.“Demand for truly exceptional properties in sought-after positions have outweighed the supply coming to the Brisbane market, including new builds,” she said. – ELIZABETH TILLEY This apartment at 5/2 Scott St, Kangaroo Point, has sold for $4.5m.Selling agent Simon Caulfield of Place Estate Agents Kangaroo Point said his team had settled more than $135 million worth of apartments in Brisbane last year and he expects 2019 to be even bigger.It comes as the city’s booming infrastructure pipeline is luring buyers to the CBD fringe, with real estate agents describing new developments such as the Howard Smith Wharves precinct and Queen’s Wharf as “game changers” for the inner city housing market.Mr Caulfield, who negotiated the $4.5 million sale of 5/2 Scott Street, in the Walan development, said the whole-floor apartment sold for 10 per cent more than it was purchased for two years ago. The luxury residential building, Walan, in Kangaroo Point, is proving popular with buyers.Mr Caulfield also negotiated the sale of an apartment in the luxurious Abian residential tower in Brisbane’s CBD late last year for $4.5 million — a record price for a resale in the building.A wealthy Chinese family snapped up the four-bedroom, three-bathroom unit at 3501/140 Alice Street. Courtney and Simon Caulfield recently bought an apartment in Kangaroo Point. Image: AAP/Josh Woning.SAVVY buyers are splashing cash on high end Brisbane apartments, swapping the big house and white picket fence for a sanctuary in the sky.An apartment in a luxurious Kangaroo Point residential building Walan (pictured) has just sold for an eye-watering $4.5 million to a couple ditching their Greenslopes house on a 405 sqm block.last_img read more

Estonia’s First Offshore Wind Farm Step Closer to Reality

first_imgEstonian wind energy developer Nelja Energia and the Hiiu municipality on the Hiiumaa Island have officially signed a cooperation agreement to build Estonia’s first offshore wind farm.Nelja Energia AS proposes to build the Loode-Eesti wind farm (Hiiumaa offshore wind farm) comprising 100 to 160 wind turbines with an aggregate capacity of 700 to 1,100 megawatts in the sea to the north of Hiiumaa. The turbines will have a nominal capacity of between 4 and 7 megawatts.The construction of the wind farm is scheduled to start in the second half of 2018, with the commissioning slated for 2020.Under the agreement, Nelja Energia commits to making a contribution to the development of the island, its economy and security of electricity supply.The agreement also sets out that the wind farm will have a minimal visual footprint and that no turbines will be put up closer than 12 kilometers from the Hiiumaa island and on Neupokoyev Bank.Additionally, visual footprint will be kept under control by the provision of the agreement that if the wind farm is linked up to the transmission grid via Hiiumaa, only submerged cables and underground cables will be used. Regardless of whether the wind farm will be connected to the grid via Hiiumaa or by a link to mainland Estonia, the developer will establish a loop connection with Hiiumaa.It has also been agreed that the maintenance operations center of the wind farm will be set up in Hiiumaa and training of technicians will take place in Hiiumaa in the future. The service center is expected to create 30 new jobs directly as well as 20 indirect jobs.The developer and the municipality are about to set up a non-profit association aimed at promoting the economic and social well being of the municipality and improve the availability of the positive effects related to the wind farm through supporting local not-for-profit initiatives. The wind farm will donate to the nonprofit at least 0.2 percent of its revenue from the sale of electricity, but not less than EUR 0.32 per each megawatt-hour of electric energy produced.In addition, a possibility will be made available to residents of Hiiu municipality to invest in the wind farm through buying preference shares or bonds bearing a fixed annual interest of 15 percent.last_img read more

Arsenal defender suffers huge injury blow against Chelsea

first_imgArsenal fear Calum Chambers could miss the rest of the season with a serious knee injury. Chambers limped off during Sunday’s defeat against Chelsea and Gunners medics feared the worst following initial tests. Loading… The defender underwent a series of tests on Monday and there are growing concerns he has suffered damage to his anterior cruciate ligament. Chambers has been a rare bright spot for Arsenal during what has been a hugely disappointing season and his injury comes as a significant blow to new boss Mikel Arteta.Advertisement Read Also: Arsenal vs Chelsea: Late Leno error deny Arteta first win as Gunners boss The news will see Arsenal ramp up their search for a new central defender when the transfer window reopens on Wednesday. Sportsmail revealed on Monday how Arsenal will provide newly-appointed manager Arteta with transfer funds next month to plug their leaky defence. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentMost Famous Female Race Car Drivers Of All TimeWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldIs This The Most Delicious Food In The World?Who Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks8 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee8 Best 1980s High Tech Gadgets2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Yearlast_img read more

Sadio Mane: Liverpool forward favoured to win PFA award

first_img Loading… “It’s a season that’s been nothing short of phenomenal,” Wilkinson said on the Sky Sports Football Weekend Preview podcast. “Fifteen goals and 11 assists in 28 games for Liverpool across all competitions. Ridiculous numbers considering we’re only halfway through the campaign. He was crowned African player of the year – a deserved, worthy winner – and I’d go as far as saying now he has overtaken Salah as the main attacking threat at Liverpool. “Yes, the front three all have their own roles to play but Mane keeps delivering the goods consistently, keeps scoring the goals that make a difference. Read Also:Drogba hails Mane as new king of Africa “Had it not been for his goals this season, Liverpool’s lead at the top of the Premier League would only have been one point. They’d have been entrenched in a proper Premier League title race. As it happens, they’re 13 points clear because of his goals and he’s been unplayable for the last 18 months to two years. His consistency is frightening. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?10 Celebrity Dads Who Have A Bad Relationship With Their KidsCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Top 10 Most Populated Cities In The World6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show Youcenter_img Sadio Mane picked up the African player of the year award earlier this week – and deserves to be the clear favourite to win the PFA player of the season prize at the end of this campaign. Liverpool forward Sadio Mane That’s the view of the Sky Sports Football Weekend Preview podcast panel ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Tottenham on Saturday evening, live on Sky Sports. Mane shared the Premier League golden boot with team-mate Mohamed Salah and Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at the end of 2018/19 and has continued that form to propel Liverpool clear at the top of the table this term. The Senegal forward has 11 goals and six assists to his name in the top flight – only Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne (seven goals, 12 assists) and Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy (17 goals, three assists) have more goal contributions this season. Mane has repeatedly stepped up and delivered in key moments, scoring in narrow wins over Southampton, Leicester, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Wolves and Sky Sports football journalist Jack Wilkinson says he has become Liverpool’s main man.Advertisementlast_img read more

Angara tests positive for COVID-19

first_img A female staff member of Senator Pia Cayetano tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019, while the Supreme Court has confirmed that a staff member of Associate Justice Amy Lazaro-Javier was positive for the virus. Angara said in a statement on Thursday he has stayed away from the public eye since he was tested for the virus on March 16. The results of the COVID-19 only came out on Thursday. “I regret to announce that I received my test result and it is positive for COVID-19,” Angara said. “I have not been in contact with the public since taking the test last March 16.” Angara was the third senator to test positive for COVID-19 aside from Negrense Juan Miguel Zubiri and Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, who came under fire after breaking his quarantine protocol. Several senators have been on self-quarantine since early March after learning that a resource speaker at a committee hearing in the chamber eventually tested positive for COVID-19. Sen. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara is the third senator to test positive for coronavirus disease 2019, aside from Juan Miguel Zubiri and Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III. Former senator and losing vice presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., for his part, said that he is currently on self-quarantine following his recent trip to Spain. MANILA – Sen. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara has tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), making him the third member of the Senate to contract the virus. “I have been feeling some symptoms like mild fever, cough, headaches and general weakness,” he added. “I ask for your prayers that together we are able to pull through this tremendous challenge.” “A few days ago I was feeling a little under the weather and as a result went to get checked for COVID-19. We are still waiting for the results,” Marcos said in a press statement. “Fortunately, I feel much better and am getting stronger by the day. I have no doubt in my mind that this is partly due to the excellent work of the nurses and doctors who helped me during this time,” he added./PNlast_img read more