On the positive side, Baca said, the college’s first major construction project in years – the Library and Learning Resource Center – is scheduled to get underway this spring. It is currently out to bid, college officials said. Exterior building panels on several buildings are also set to be replaced, and construction of a new maintenance facility is scheduled to begin this spring as well. In the summer, construction on phase one of a new access road to the campus – called the Rio Hondo Parkway – is also scheduled to begin, officials said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955 Ext. 3051160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Enrollment in the college’s intersession – a mini-session that took place in January – more than doubled from last year, jumping students to 2,969 from 1,112. However, while the number of actual students at the college has been increasing, the number of units they have been taking is not – and that’s how the state determines how much much funding the college receives, said Henry Gee, vice president of student and community services. As such, the college has started implementing multiple-start classes, late-start classes, incentives for full-time students and other outreach efforts to get the number of units up. “This is our third year in decline and we have a long way to go to increase it,” said Teresa Dreyfuss, Rio Hondo’s vice president of finance and business. “Recently, we’ve also been hearing that the state is in deficit mode, between $2 billion and $4 billion,” Dreyfuss added. “So we have a very challenging financial area in the coming years, and we need everyone to help out.” WHITTIER – Rio Hondo College’s campus rebuilding project may be ready for a roll-out this spring, but challenges in enrollment and the budget also lay ahead, administrators said Tuesday at the annual State of the College address. Interim college President Manuel Baca said it’s also important to remain optimistic, especially as the campus undergoes the first phase of a a new accreditation process that began last fall. “I want us to feel optimistic that there’s still much we can do,” Baca said. “And my job is to make sure this organization is doing the best it can so staff can do the best job they can to teach and train students.” Interim Vice President of Instruction Marilyn Brock said the college has added 98 new and revised courses to its schedule, along with nine new transferable college classes, 10 vocational classes and 35 non-credential courses.
HOBOKEN, N.J. – He’s a veteran of long-distance sailing voyages in all kinds of weather. She’s never sailed outside the Hudson River. But together, 55-year-old Reid Stowe and his 23-year-old girlfriend, Soanya Ahmad, embarked Saturday on a voyage that they plan to take them three times around the globe and last 1,000 days and nights – nonstop, with no port calls for supplies or a walk on solid ground. They set sail Saturday afternoon aboard his 70-foot, two-masted schooner, named the Schooner Anne, from a Hudson River marina in North Hoboken, in bright sunshine with temperatures in the 70s. “This will be my first time sailing ever – except for up and down the Hudson River,” said Ahmad, the New York-raised daughter of immigrants from Guyana. “I haven’t gotten seasick – so far,” she said with a grin. She may be tested when the yacht rounds South America’s Cape Horn on the way from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean, an area infamous for waves as high as 100 feet, as well as icebergs. If they succeed, they say their time away from land will surpass the 657 days spent at sea by Australian Jon Sanders, who circumnavigated the globe three times from 1986 to 1988. Stowe planned a course that initially will take them into the north Atlantic to take advantage of wind and currents, then head south of the Equator. Past the Equator, before passing Cape Horn, he mapped out a course that would loop around the south Atlantic in the outline of a heart. “This is a voyage that takes heart,” he said. Provisions were packed into every nook and cranny of the schooner’s hull, everything from rice and beans to tomato sauce, pasta, pesto, olives, chocolate, spices and about 200 pounds of parmesan cheese. Sprouts were already growing in boxes for salads. The rest of their food will be caught fresh from the sea – automatically. Two contraptions at the stern will troll for fish, and when one is caught the line is rigged to alert them by tapping a piece of wood. Rainwater will be collected in tarps stretched over the deck, and a desalinator will turn sea water into drinking water. Crammed in alongside the food was a ton of coal and 100 boxes of firewood for the antique French iron stove that will keep them warm, plus diesel oil for a motor. Solar panels will generate enough electricity for the satellite communication and navigation system and for lights. Along with sending and receiving e-mail via satellite, they expect to post photographs, videos and blogs on their Web site. They also have a small library of books on yoga, meditation and spirituality, as well as art and history, plus the collected works of Joseph Conrad and every book written by Herman Melville, including “Moby Dick.” Equipped with a well-stocked medical kit, they have learned how to clean and stitch cuts and to set broken bones. The cost of the journey is covered by corporate and individual donations, plus donations of food, the sails and marine ropes. Their message to the world, they say, is that any human being can persevere and survive while staying inspired and in love. “It’s inside everyone to go into the unknown, to sail by the sun and the winds of fate. Our ability to control our minds will allow us to do this,” said Stowe, an artist born in Washington state who has been living on the Anne for decades.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Mayor Lori Ackerman and Council declared September as “United Way Northern BC Month” at the City Council meeting on Monday.United Way gave a presentation to City Council about how Fort St. John is struggling to keep up with the demand of clientele they are seeing, from the bad economy as of late.These are the following numbers that show the alarming rate of clientele coming in:Salvation Army (food related only): 1653 FSJ Women’s Resource Society (outreach): 492 FSJ Friendship Society (food bus): 1301- Advertisement -That is 3,446 people in Fort St. John using those resources.United Way has also been raising awareness and education about these issues. They recently held an event in the park to show how many people in one month came to use their services.They also will have the Fire Truck Pull on September 17th where they will be also holding a food drive to get more donations for the centres that truly need them.Advertisement
Guardiola’s men will return to Wembley to face either Watford or Wolves on May 18 for what they hope will be the chance to clinch the first ever domestic treble in English football history.City trail Liverpool by two points in the Premier League title race but have a game in hand and retained the League Cup in February.But ahead of the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final at Tottenham on Tuesday, Guardiola insisted it will still require a “miracle” to claim all four trophies.“I will announce you something. It is almost impossible to win the quadruple,” said Guardiola. “Surviving in this stage of the competitions is already a miracle.“Still we are there. That’s why it’s incredible what these players have done.“Every game we lose players but that is normal when you play a lot of games. We are going to try until the end every game.”Brighton were left to rue a controversial decision not to send off Kyle Walker just after the half-hour mark for a clash with Alireza Jahanbakhsh.“I have seen it a few times and my opinion is it is a red card,” said Brighton boss Chris Hughton.“We ask for players to be honest and with Alireza, if he goes down clutching his head it would have been a different outcome.”With City staying in London until their trip to Tottenham’s new stadium in midweek, Sergio Aguero had travelled south on Friday but was not risked after a minor muscle injury.– Another fast start –Jesus stepped up in the Argentine’s absence by stooping to head home his 18th goal of the season, but the Brazilian’s opener owed much to a wonderfully inviting cross from Kevin De Bruyne.That was the third time in as many games City had struck inside the first five minutes, but unlike in cruising past Fulham and Cardiff in the Premier League, they failed to put the game out of Brighton’s reach before the break.“Do you believe we can play 60 games in a season and win 5-0 and have a good performance in every game?” Guardiola argued.“I think when (former Manchester United manager) Sir Alex Ferguson won the treble, in that case not all the games were fantastic and winning four or five-zero.“Normally the semi-finals, final, are games like this. You can analyse how many chances we create, but people expect from how good we are that we have to score I don’t know how many goals.“In this game, in this job, it doesn’t work in that way.”Head-to-head: Manchester City’s Kyle Walker and Brighton’s Iranian midfielder Alireza Jahanbakhsh clash © AFP / Daniel LEAL-OLIVASThe Seagulls grew into the game and were left furious when Walker escaped a red card that could easily have changed the course of the game.The England international was unhappy that Jahanbakhsh stood on his trailing leg as the pair jostled at the back post and went head-to-head with the Iranian.However, after a VAR review, the yellow card shown to Walker by Anthony Taylor was deemed sufficient.Despite Brighton staying in the game, neither side created many chances and City goalkeeper Ederson was not even forced into a save until four minutes from time.Jose Izquierdo stung the Brazilian’s palms from long range, but City held on to take another step closer to history.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gabriel Jesus scored the only goal to take Manchester City into the FA Cup final © AFP / Daniel LEAL-OLIVASLondon, United Kingdom, Apr 6 – Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola insisted completing a quadruple of trophies is still “almost impossible” for the English champions despite progressing to the FA Cup final with a 1-0 win over Brighton on Saturday.Gabriel Jesus’s solitary early goal was enough as City failed to hit top gear against the Seagulls, but still stretched an incredible run to 22 wins in 23 games.
1 Dele Alli played a key part in England’s recent 3-2 win over Germany Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is confident Dele Alli can handle the hype after Sir Alex Ferguson said he was the most talented midfielder since Paul Gascoigne.Alli has seven goals and 12 assists already in his debut season in the Barclays Premier League and he proved his international class last weekend with a superb performance against Germany.England manager Roy Hodgson likened Alli to former England midfielder Bryan Robson and Ferguson has added his own praise for the 19-year-old, telling Sky Sports he is “probably the best young midfielder I have seen in many years, probably going back as far as Gascoigne.”Pochettino has been eager to contain the expectation surrounding his young star but the Argentine has no concerns about Alli wilting under the pressure.“It’s very good praise from one of the best managers in football history. I can only agree with him,” Pochettino said of Ferguson’s comments.“Am I worried about the hype? No, you can see the whole season how he has managed the pressure. He is very calm, very mature.“He has managed the pressure and the popularity and how to be a senior player and play for the national team. He is very calm.“We always need to be aware and look after him. We have a lot of control about that. Only he can go down if you are not aware but we look after him in a good way.“Now he is fresh, at a good level, he has a good mentality. He is mature enough. We have no worries about his future.”
The second annual Gartan Lake 5 Mile Road Race takes place on June 26th next at 3pm.Arguably the most scenic race in Donegal, the event has now been made part of the Donegal Grand Prix series. But that’s not to say that walkers and fun runners aren’t welcome to the event because they are!Organiser Eunan McBride said he is looking forward to a great day.“There will be serious athletes there and we are hoping they can achieve great times on the day.“But the event is also about having fun and we are hoping as many fun runners and walkers come along as possible. Everyone is welcome and the more the merrier,” he said. Las year’s event was in aid of the Irish Heart Foundation and money raised from this year’s race will go towards the upkeep of two local schools, Glenswilly NS and Glendowan NS.Registration for the event takes place in Gartan from 12 noon onwards and there will be refrshments for all afterwards.“All we need now is a sunny day and we will really have everything because the course itself is blessed with beautiful scenery along the lake,” added Eunan.*Pictured above is Richard McNamara, McDonald’s Restaurant, Letterkenny, presenting Eunan McBride with sponsorship for the forthcoming Gartan lake 5 Mile Road Race, Fun Run and Walk. Also pictured are Bernie Lapsley, Glenswilly NS Parent’s Association and Patrick McMonagle, Parent’s Association Glendowan NS (Picture by Clive Wasson).EndsDONEGAL’S MOST SCENIC ROAD RACE GETS UNDER STARTER’S ORDERS! was last modified: June 13th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Gartan Road Race
16 year old Eoghan Boyce from Ramelton has entered a competition to be in with the chance of winning a free scholarship to the Fusion Dance Fest in August.The video with the most views on the Fusion Fighters page wins a much coveted scholarship to the Irish dancing workshop – can you help Eoghan by sharing the video?Eoghan is currently in second place with 38,000 views, 10,000 views behind Cathal Doughan. Tuition to the Fusion Dance Fest isn’t cheap at €770, but with enough views Eoghan could win his scholarship.Watch: Eoghan Boyce’s incredible entry for Irish dancing scholarship was last modified: April 1st, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:eoghan boycefusion dance festfusion fightersIrish Dancing
David Moyes David Moyes is reportedly ready to quit as Sunderland boss following the club’s relegation from the Premier League.The former Everton and Manchester United manager has endured a torrid spell at the Stadium of Light since replacing Sam Allardyce last summer.The Black Cats have won only five league games under Moyes this season and were consigned to the Championship with defeat to Bournemouth on Saturday.Moyes refused to commit his future to the club following the match and now, according to The Sun, the 54-year-old is on the verge of walking away.Their report claims he held a crunch meeting with chairman Ellis Short in London on Tuesday about his future.And, with fans turning on the Scot, he is poised to quit his post – and may do so by the end of this week. 1
A bizarre mix-up during the impanelling of a jury in Letterkenny certainly had legal staff smelling the coffee.The incident happened as a jury of 12 people was being sworn in for a trial at Letterkenny Circuit Court. Just moments before the trial was due to begin, Counsel for the State, Ms Patricia McLaughlin, told Judge Terence O’Sullivan that a potentially serious issue had arisen.It transpired that one of the 12 jurors chosen had written down the word ‘barrister’ as her profession on the jury enrollment sheet.Ms McLaughlin said she considered the woman may be unsuitable and in fact, may not be allowed by law to serve on the jury.Judge O’Sullivan agreed, saying it may be the case that the woman may not be a practising barrister.The woman was called out from the jury room and Judge O’Sullivan asked the woman if she was a barrister.The woman looked momentarily puzzled and replied “I am a barista.”Through laughter, the rest of the courtroom finally smelled the coffee.Court wakes up and smells the coffee after jury mix-up! was last modified: April 27th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:barristercourtroomdonegalletterkenny