Two weeks after last fight, Iniong faces Yamaguchi in ONE Singapore card

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Read Next “I am expecting a tough duel with her again on 24 November in Singapore. I have lofty goals in ONE Championship, and I must win this match to achieve them.”The 34-year-old Yamaguchi praised Iniong for agreeing to the fight despite having only little time to prepare.“I commend Gina Iniong for taking this match on a short notice. She is a good martial arts artist with promising potential in the division,” said Yamaguchi, who stopped Jennu Huang last June.READ: ONE: Team Lakay bets Pacio, Iniong score KOs“Gina is in good hands, training with no less than the best at Team Lakay. I have faced her before, and she is always in good condition. As always, I am in tiptop shape for every bout. Brace yourselves for fireworks.”ADVERTISEMENT Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort WATCH: LeBron James, Cavaliers take NYC subway Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES View commentscenter_img MOST READ READ: MMA star Angela Lee survives car crash, out of ONE Singapore cardIniong and Yamaguchi are familiar with each other having fought three years ago in the Pacific Xtreme Combat and both are expecting a stiff challenge.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Facing Mei Yamaguchi three years ago was like going through the eye of a needle. That bout opened doors of great opportunity for me in this sport,” said Iniong, who is coming off a second-round victory over Priscilla Hertati Lumbangaol last Friday in ONE: Legends of World at Mall of Asia Arena.READ: Iniong wins debut in ONE undercard Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netFilipino fighter Gina Iniong has been tapped as substitute opponent for Japanese veteran Mei Yamaguchi in the ONE: Immortal Pursuit card set on Nov. 24 at Singapore Indoor Stadium, just two weeks after her last bout.Iniong was announced as a late replacement for Angela Lee, who had to withdraw from her scheduled title defense after figuring in a car crash in Hawaii last week.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:58ONE: Iniong looking for decisive win over Yamaguchi00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Gameslast_img read more

Astronaut Scholarship Foundation Announces Charity Auction

first_imgBidding is now open for a charity space auction that gives bidders the chance to bring Star Trek’s Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton) to their kid’s classroom, own materials used in a lunar lander on the Moon, or snag a pair of vintage astronaut boots.The nonprofit Astronaut Scholarship Foundation (ASF) is offering these items and more in its 10th Annual Auction of Astronaut Experiences and Memorabilia, which is currently running at www.astronautscholarship.org/auction.In all, 60 lots are up for grabs including items from such legends as John Glenn, Buzz Aldrin and Alan Shepard, the first American in space! Want a piece of the spacecraft seats used by the astronauts on Apollo 13? Done. A shirt an astronaut wore while flying in space? Got it. A locker that stored stuff on the Space Shuttle? It’s yours. Or maybe you feel like just hanging out with a legendary astronaut – they’re offering 10 experiences that let you do just that.“The astronauts have donated their artifacts, autographs and in some instances their time, as a way to raise money to fund some of the brightest science and engineering college students in the U.S. through ASF’s scholarships,” said Apollo 16 Moonwalker and ASF Chairman Charlie Duke, who is offering a chance to explore San Antonio with him. “Folks won’t find these items anywhere else. This is truly unique.”Each of these incredible lots is up for grabs and will be available at www.astronautscholarship.org/auction] until bidding concludes on November 3 at 10:30 PM EDT. Winning bids, over fair market value, should be considered a charitable donation.Proceeds benefit the ASF, a nonprofit organization established in 1984 by the six surviving members of America’s Mercury 7 astronauts. Each year, ASF disburses twenty-eight $10,000 scholarships to college students who exhibit motivation, imagination and exceptional performance in science, technology, engineering and math. Today, more than 100 astronauts from the Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, Space Shuttle and Space Station programs have joined in this educational endeavor, disbursing more than $3.5 million in scholarships to date. For more information, call 321-455-7013 or log on to www.AstronautScholarship.org.Source:PR Newswirelast_img read more

Five questions to ask about Ohio State – Purdue

1. Can Ohio State control its emotions? Common sense suggests the Buckeyes were already fired up to play Purdue after their embarrassing 26-18 loss last Oct. 17 in West Lafayette. Ind. Now, following a loss at Wisconsin after only one week ranked at No. 1, the team will be chomping at the bit to take the field. Coach Jim Tressel preaches a communal mentality to his team, but obviously, he doesn’t know what each player is thinking. “We talk a lot about what we should be collectively thinking,” Tressel said. But “I’ve never pretended to know what every individual is thinking.” 2. Will the OSU offensive line handle Purdue’s version of J.J. Watt? Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt wreaked havoc at times last Saturday against the OSU offensive line, finishing the game with four tackles and two sacks. The men who man the trenches will get no off-day on Saturday against Purdue’s Ryan Kerrigan. In last season’s game, Kerrigan tortured the Scarlet and Gray offense for nine tackles and three sacks. So far this season, Kerrigan has six sacks despite being the focal point for opposing teams’ offensive lines. 3. Is ‘Boom’ Herron ready for a No. 1 running back role? Even though Dan Herron and Brandon Saine continue to be listed as co-starters on the team’s depth chart, make no mistake about it, Herron is now the featured back. In the last three games, Herron has carried the ball 54 times. In that same span, Saine has rushed the ball eight times, including no carries in the past two games. As OSU heads into its eighth game, the offense seems to be more comfortable with Herron carrying the load on the ground and using Saine as a hybrid wide receiver. 4. After a subpar showing last week, will the OSU defensive line rebound? Before the Wisconsin game, the OSU defensive line had held its own through the first six games of the season. Things changed Saturday night. Wisconsin manhandled the OSU defensive line at times and surrendered 184 yards on the ground to the Badgers, 104 of those to 2009 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year John Clay. In most years, OSU rotates about eight players along the defensive line to keep fresh legs in the game and create a solid push on the line. In the first quarter, Wisconsin embarked on a 19-play, 89-yard drive that resulted in a touchdown. The only player substituted for one of the starters on the defensive line during that drive was freshman Johnathan Hankins. “I can remember many times we’ve talked since last February that one of the concerns was that five of our eight in our eight-man rotation were graduating or going out early,” Tressel said. “What you get into in a ball game like (last Saturday) is, is it the right time and the right place to put someone in?” 5. Are injuries becoming a serious concern for the defense? The “Silver Bullets” have quickly become the walking wounded. They are already without safety C.J. Barnett and hybrid linebacker/safety Tyler Moeller for the season. Barnett’s replacement, Orhian Johnson, is banged up. Moeller’s replacement, Christian Bryant, has a foot infection that requires hospitalization until at least Friday, Tressel said. Starting linebacker Ross Homan will be out a few weeks with a foot injury. His backup, Dorian Bell, suffered a concussion against Indiana and is still out. Although Tressel essentially said the next man in line needs to step up, the injuries are not only depleting the defense but also the special teams, where many of the backups play. The last thing a struggling OSU special teams unit needs is new and untested faces. read more

Down the rink Columbus Blue Jackets recap – Week 7

Right wing Cam Atkinson signed a seven-year contract extension on Nov. 17 with the Blue Jackets. Credit: Courtesy of TNSThe Columbus Blue Jackets bounced back from three straight losses the week before to take two games against quality opponents.Defenseman Zach Werenski buried an overtime goal against Montreal and goalie Sergei Bobrovsky had a 36-save, 2-0 shutout victory for his 21st career shutout with Columbus against the New York Rangers.Before the Jackets face off with Buffalo in New York on Monday night, here’s the rundown from this past week’s three major storylines.Tortorella searching for answers defensivelyAs expected, the top defensive line of Seth Jones and Zach Werenski have continued to be the force carries the Jackets in their own zone. Past that, the defense remains largely unsolved. The difference this week, head coach John Tortorella is sending a message.He surprisingly made David Savard a healthy scratch Friday against the Rangers due to his play. Savard has been a defensive staple for the better part of four seasons, but the blue-liner certainly hasn’t played up to par to this point. Rookie Gabriel Carlsson replaced Savard on the second line.The second defensive pairing of Jack Johnson and David Savard gave up the only goal the Jackets allowed this week in a continued downward spiral from two of Columbus’ most consistent defenders last season. The two have the lowest plus-minus rating of any defensive fixtures in the lineup. Both recorded career-highs in plus-minus last year — Savard plus-33, Johnson plus-23.Savard will be back in the lineup Monday with Carlsson being sent back to Cleveland, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Blue Jackets.Zach Werenski finding offensive rhythmIt’s no secret the Blue Jackets have struggled on offense this season, despite having some of the best young talent in the Metropolitan division. Even for defensemen, that can be frustrating. But Werenski found the back of the net twice, both in game-winning fashion. His overtime goal against Montreal then a second-period wrister against New York.His offense from the blue line is arguably just as important as getting the forwards onto the scoring sheet. If Werenski can carry his two-game goal streak over to the power play, the Jackets can return to offensive prominence as many expected before the season.Atkinson signs seven-year extensionThe next two offseasons are going to test the front office, with 15 players listed as an unrestricted or restricted free agent in the 2018 and 2019 offseasons. But team president John Davidson and general manager Jarmo Kekalainen can cross one off the board with a huge seven-year deal, reportedly in excess of $40 million to Cam Atkinson. The new deal also includes a no-move clause.Atkinson, 28, has led the Jackets in scoring the past two seasons and should remain a big part of the franchise’s offense for years to come.He failed to record a point in his first game on Friday since his signing, but fired a team-high seven shots and moved furiously through the Rangers defense, attacking the net on each shift.Injury reportThird-line left wing Matt Calvert was placed on injured reserve on Nov. 6. Calvert is expected to miss three to four weeks with an upper body injury.Fourth-line center Lukas Sedlak is on injured reserve with ankle injury retroactive to Oct. 23.Alexander Wennberg has missed the past two games with unknown injury.Looking aheadCurrently on a three-game winning streak, the Blue Jackets are tied atop the Metropolitan division with Pittsburgh and New Jersey with 25 points. After Monday, they have four of their next five games at home against four teams that have winning records.Top performers (skaters)Zach Werenski – two goals (6), two points (12), +2Brandon Dubinsky – two assists (6), two points (8), +1Josh Anderson – one goal (7), one point (10), +1Artemi Panarin – one goal (4), one point (14), 1 power-play goalGoaltending:Sergei Bobrovsky – 2-0-0 (11-4-1), 0.50 goals allowed average (2.02), 64 saves, .985 save percentage (.933)In the circle (faceoff record, faceoff win percentage, EV record, PP record, SH record)Brandon Dubinsky – 34-16, 68.0, 29-14, 0-0, 5-2 Nick Foligno – 16-19, 45.7, 12-19, 3-0, 1-0Pierre-Luc Dubois – 7-7, 50.0, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0Jordan Schroeder – 8-3, 72.7, 7-3, 1-0, 0-0Overall: 569-636 (47.2 percent), ranked 28thSpecial teams units:Powerplay – 0-for-2 at Montreal; 1-for-3 vs. New York RangersOverall: 6-for-57 (10.5 percent), ranked 31stPenalty kill – 2-for-2 at Montreal; 3-for-3 vs. New York RangersOverall: 42-for-51 (82.3 percent), ranked 12thUp next:11/20 – at Buffalo (5-11-4)11/22 – vs. Calgary (11-8-0)11/24 – vs. Ottawa (8-5-6) read more

Lopetegui refuses to break silence on Courtois Real Madrid move

first_imgJulen Lopetegui refused to discuss Thibaut Courtois’ potential move to Real Madrid and insisted that he is “thrilled” with his current goalkeeping optionsThe former Spain boss opted to start with Kiko Casilla in goal for his first match in charge of Real in Miami against Manchester United on Wednesday morning.However, despite Karim Benzema scoring, it proved to be a futile effort with Alexis Sanchez and Ander Herrera goals handing United a 2-1 win.Speaking after the game, Lopetegui was asked by the media over the current situation regarding Courtois and his expected move to Real this summer.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“At no time am I going to talk about players who are not at Real Madrid. I am thrilled with these goalkeepers that I have and I will not talk about players who are not part of this team,” he replied, as stated on the club website.The Belgium international has previously admitted during the World Cup that his future at Chelsea is far from secure at this stage with the 26-year-old keen to move back to Spain in order to be with his family.As such, a dream move to Real appears to be on the cards for Courtois with reports having previously stated that he has agreed on personal terms with the European champions.last_img read more

Albiol expects Ronaldo to struggle

first_imgNapoli defender Raul Albiol has revealed he expects Cristiano Ronaldo to struggle this season in the Italian Serie A.The former Real Madrid centre-back who played with the Portuguese superstar will struggle to score 40 goals after he joined Italian champions Juventus this summer.Ronaldo managed 450 goals in 438 appearances for Real Madrid before leaving for Juventus, but he is yet to register in his three Serie A appearances for the Italian champions.Ronaldo scored more than 40 goals in eight of his nine seasons at the Bernabeu, but Albiol has said that “football is more tactical and defensive” in Italy, and the 33-year-old will therefore struggle to put up similar numbers.“It’s true that in Italy, football is more tactical and defensive, as well as being very physical, so you have to know how to play,” Albiol told AS, according to Sports Mole.Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Manchester UnitedVidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“Cristiano’s a great player with tremendous quality, but in Italy it’ll be harder for him to score 40 goals.“Also, I hope he doesn’t because it would be good for Juventus but bad for Napoli. He also started slowly with Madrid last season.”“He didn’t score goals at the start of the campaign, yet he finished up again with some mindboggling numbers. If Cristiano has spent his entire career scoring bags of goals every season, it’s not by chance.”Juventus are next in action at home to Sassuolo on Sunday afternoon.last_img read more

Roma hero Nicolo Zaniolo stunned by his twogoal haul

first_img19-year-old Nicolo Zaniolo was lost for words after scoring both of AS Roma’s goals in their 2-1 first win over FC Porto in their last-16 Champions League tie.The Italian midfielder, who arrived at Roma last summer from Inter Milan as part of a trade deal for Radja Nainggolan, proved to be the difference at the Stadio Olimpico on Tuesday night for the Giallorossi with two second-half goals.Zaniolo got his first of the game in the 70th-minute after controlling Edin Dzeko’s pass and then slotting the ball past former Real Madrid keeper Iker Casillas.The teenager got his second six minutes later after Dzeko’s effort from 20 yards out hit the post for Zaniolo to then put it away to become the youngest Italian player to score a double in a Champions League match and help seal Roma a 2-1 first leg win over Porto.“I have no words, it’s a memorable day. I’ll never forget it in my life,” Zaniolo told Sky Sport Italia.“Now I want to focus on the return leg because the goal we gave up can be bothersome. We have to play like we did today without conceding anything to the opponents.“We had prepared it this way. I ran a lot, but I’m happy for the result. It’s a unique emotion to score under the Curva Sud, I can’t describe it. I hope to score many more.”Roma captain Daniele De Rossi also paid tribute to the youngster in what was also his first knockout Champions League game.“It’s another small milestone, perhaps not even a small one, that adds to what he is showing game after game and even training session after training session,” De Rossi said.Top 5 Atletico Madrid players to watch in next week’s UCL Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 With the Champions League about to start, we need to start talking about the Top 5 Atletico Madrid players to watch in the competition.Atletico…“He has an incredible natural physique for someone who is only 19 and also has great technical quality.“In my opinion, as perhaps with everyone now, he is already a very good player – and can become a great one.”Substitute Adrian Lopez capitalised on Tiquinho Soares’ mis-hit shot to score a crucial away goal for Porto to settle the scoreline at 2-1.The return leg between Porto and Roma will take place at the Estádio do Dragão in Portugal on March 6.😮 Remember the name!🇮🇹 Nicolò Zaniolo = youngest Italian player to score 2 goals in a #UCL match ⚽️⚽️ pic.twitter.com/VUyYpQ1Xop— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) February 12, 2019last_img read more