Trump says Mollie Tibbetts’ family ‘separated’ from the slain student

first_imgPoweshiek County Sheriffs Office(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump weighed in on the murder case of an Iowa college student, pointing to the immigration status of the man accused of killing her, even though his status is in dispute.Trump posted a video on Twitter about the death of Mollie Tibbetts, saying the “incredible young woman, is now permanently separated from her family.”“A person came in from Mexico illegally and killed her,” Trump said, referring to the suspect, Cristhian Bahena Rivera.Rivera’s immigration status has been a point of confusion, however.In court records released Wednesday, Rivera’s lawyer declared that “the Government knows Cristhian has legal status” and wrote that “Cristhian has complied with his documented status since arriving in the U.S.A. as a minor.”Those documents were released the day after Rick Rahn of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation announced the suspect’s arrest and described him as an “illegal immigrant.”In the rest of his Twitter video, Trump spoke about the need for tighter border security and immigration laws, bringing the Tibbetts family back up at the end of the video.“We need the wall. We need our immigration laws changed. We need our border walls changed. We need Republicans to do it because Democrats aren’t going to do it. This is one instance of many. We have tremendous crime trying to come through the borders. We have the worst laws anywhere in the world- nobody has laws like the United States. They are strictly pathetic,” he said.“We need new immigration laws we need new border laws. The Democrats will never give them. The wall is being built. We’ve started it but we also need the funding of this year’s building of the wall, so to the family of Mollie Tibbetts, all I can say is God bless you. God bless you,” Trump added.The White House posted a similar message on its Twitter account earlier on Wednesday, writing about Tibbetts’ death and including a compilation video of other Americans who lost loved ones at the hands of what they describe as “illegal aliens in our country.”In the White House tweet, it also says that “The Tibbetts family has been permanently separated.”Earlier this summer, a national uproar was caused by the Trump administration’s separation of families of immigrants at the U.S.-Mexico border.Tibbetts’ family released a statement Wednesday saying their “hearts are broken.” The statement did not, however, mention immigration.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Police find body in dumpster believed to be missing Alabama 3-year-old

first_imgAlabama Law Enforcement Agency(BIRMINGHAM, Ala.) — Authorities believe they have recovered the body of a missing Alabama toddler who was kidnapped while attending a birthday party earlier this month.Police said they recovered what appeared to be the body of 3-year-old Kamille McKinney in a Birmingham dumpster not far from where she disappeared nine days ago, the Birmingham Police Department announced Tuesday. The department also said it plans to charge suspects Patrick Stallworth, 39, and Derick Irisha Brown, 29, with capital murder and kidnapping in connection to the case.The suspects were arrested last week on unrelated charges and were named persons of interests in Kamille’s disappearance. Stallworth was arrested on child porn charges and Brown was jailed for violating probation conditions on a previous kidnapping charge.“We believe that this was something they thought about and acted upon and they saw an opportunity to take a young child, and they did,” Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith told reporters Tuesday. “I would like to thank the public for all of the information, all of the tips, all of the video and for their cooperation with this police department during the course of this investigation.”Kamille was abducted near a Birmingham housing area on Oct. 12. Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin said investigators are not aware of any connections between the suspects and the victim’s family.“Tonight our entire city is in mourning. Kamille is gone,” Woodfin said Tuesday. “At this moment that we’re standing in, I ask one thing of this community: not to take sides and not to finger point. But if there is any finger pointing to do it is only at the perpetrator, who would kidnap an innocent 3-year-old.”Police on Friday released surveillance footage from the night Kamille was abducted. In the video, two children, one of whom is believed to Kamille, are seen playing outside.One of the men in the video, who apparently “engages the children,” is a suspect, Smith said previously.“The first man who walked by in the video, he may have pertinent information that will help us,” Smith said last week. “This is the male we’re looking for … we want to talk to him … if he saw something that night that may be critical to the investigation.”Police do not yet know a motive for the abduction.A $28,000 reward had been offered to find the little girl.“If you have her and you’re not sure what to do … please bring her to one of our fire stations, police station, a hospital,” Smith said at an earlier press conference. “If you don’t know what to do or where to go and you’re frightened, we’re here to help you … please bring her to a safe location.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more