​​​​​​​COVID-19: Indonesia expects WHO to assist in procuring rapid antigen test kits

first_imgIndonesia is expecting the World Health Organization (WHO) to include the Southeast Asian country among the recipients of the rapid antigen test kits so as to speed up coronavirus detection in the archipelago.Earlier on Monday, the WHO announced that some 120 million antigen test kits would be available at a cost of US$5 each for low- and middle-income countries. It said the $600 million scheme would serve to expand testing in poorer nations where lab facilities or trained health workers to carry out swab tests were lacking.”We have communicated with the WHO’s representative in Indonesia and we asked [for Indonesia] to be considered to receive the test kits from the WHO,” national COVID-19 task force spokesperson Wiku Adisasmito said on Thursday. Read also: Use antigen tests for screening but with caution: ExpertsWiku said Indonesia would immediately use the rapid antigen tests to expedite coronavirus screening and detection in the country.“Will lndonesia use rapid antigen tests? The answer is yes. We have received good quality antigen tests recommended by the WHO. We are currently reviewing and considering to use them,” said Wiku.He went on to say that the rapid antigen tests were more accurate than the rapid antibody tests. However, they may require further confirmation with a PCR test, especially if a person tests negative but appears to have COVID-19 symptoms.The antigen tests offer the chance of a faster result, even within minutes, without sophisticated lab equipment. It only uses a paper strip containing coronavirus antibodies that react when touching the virus’ spike protein. (aly)Topics :last_img read more

Around P200K lost to fall in Negros

first_imgAccording to a memorandum from theBureau of Plant Industry in May, the destructive pest has a high reproductiverate and is difficult to control as they have natural tolerance to someinsecticides.(With PNA/PN) BACOLOD City – The Negros Occidentaloffice of the provincial agriculturist recorded an estimated P200,000 worth ofdamages in four areas in the province due to fall armyworm (FAW) infestation. Regional Technical director ReneFamoso, officer-in-charge of the Department of Agriculture-Western Visayas,warned farmers that the exotic pest can infest over 500 plant species. Lacson directed the Capitol FAW taskforce to collaborate with its regional counterpart to ensure preparedness ofthe province with the new invasive pest at all stakeholder levels, prepareappropriate short and long-term action plans and be responsible for the regularsubmission of the provincial update and necessary data.      OPA chief Japhet Masculino said around0.7 hectares of land were affected in La Carlota City; 2.25 hectares in LaCastellana; Pontevedra (0.25 hectares); and nearly one hectare of cornfield inSan Carlos City.              center_img “There is a critical need to create aprovincial coordinating task force to ensure preparedness and to strengthenpest surveillance and management activities,” Lacson said. Fall armyworms attack rice, corn,soybeans, sugarcane, and some vegetables.  Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson recentlyformed the Provincial Coordinating Task Force on fall armyworm to protect cropsin the province from possible infestation.          last_img read more

Berekum Chelsea hold Zamalek to 1-1 draw in Cairo

first_imgBerekum Chelsea held Zamalek to a pulsating 1-1 draw in their Champions League penultimate Group B match on Saturday, leaving their semi-final chances in a balance.The home side went ahead after just 13 minutes through Mohamed Ibrahim but defender Awudu Nafiu restored parity 11 minutes later at the Cairo Military Academy Stadium.Chelsea needed victory from this encounter to brighten their chance of qualification to the semi-finals but had to overcome a resilient Zamalek side at the Cairo Military Academy Stadium.Al Ahly must now beat TP Mazembe in Lumbubasi on Sunday to keep the 2011 Ghanaian champions in contention for a last four berth.In the presence of home fans, Zamalek claimed their first point of the Champions League group stage with a 1-1 draw against Berekum Chelsea in Cairo./p>Both goals came in the first 25 minutes as Chelsea’s Awudu Nafui cancelled out Mohamed Ibrahim’s first-ever continental goal for Zamalek. Zamalek are now certain to finish bottom of Group B with one point from five games, whereas Chelsea maintain their slender hope of qualifying with six.With Zamalek already eliminated, football on the pitch paled into insignificance as the return of fans to the stands was the mere highlight of the game.Back for the first time in seven months, Zamalek’s Ultras White Knights were active from the first minute of the match at the Military Academy.However, the ardent Zamalek fans were hardly cheering their players following a campaign to forget in Africa this season.The some 3000 supporters present in the stands poured their rage on the Whites’ board, chanting against Mamdouh Abbas’ board for long spells.last_img read more