GE moving ahead with larger, two-piece wind turbine blades

first_imgGE moving ahead with larger, two-piece wind turbine blades FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Windpower Monthly:GE Renewable Energy has launched a new 5.3MW onshore turbine model with a 158-metre rotor.GE’s new 5.3MW turbine will offer the same 158-metre rotor as its 4.8MW model. The new model joins the previously unveiled 4.8MW model, with the same rotor, on GE’s Cypress platform.Its latest iteration will offer a 50% increase in annual energy production over GE’s 3MW platform, the company claimed. The new model will be designed for IEC S class wind speeds and, as with the 2MW and 3MW platforms, use a doubly-fed induction generator. Similar to the 4.8MW, GE’s new turbine will use a two-piece blade design, produced by its Danish subsidiary LM Wind Power.The new model cements GE as the market leader in both onshore and offshore markets in terms of turbine capacity, following the announcement of a 12MW offshore machine in February.GE’s onshore wind CEO, Pete McCabe, said: “The prototype Cypress 4.8-158 is currently under production at our Salzbergen facility in Germany and we are looking forward to deploying and commissioning it by the end of the year.More: GE launches 5.3MW onshore turbinelast_img read more

Kohli leads pay rise call for India cricketers

first_imgNAGPUR, India (AFP) – National team skipper Virat Kohli has demanded a greater share of India’s growing cricket wealth for players ahead of contract talks this week, officials said.Top players saw their annual basic deals doubled to $300 000 this year.But the Indian squad, which is due to hold talks with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in New Delhi tomorrow, wants more after the governing body struck a huge new television deal in September.The BCCI will get $2.5 billion from Rupert Murdoch’s Star India channel to show the Indian Premier League from 2018 to 2022.Player contracts expired on September 30 and salaries are one of the key negotiating points.A senior board official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that “the players want a raise” and that Kohli will lead the talks with former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and current coach Ravi Shastri.They will meet BCCI administrator Vinod Rai in New Delhi to discuss pay and the packed cricket calendar which Kohli has also criticised.“It’s always healthy to be transparent and that’s what BCCI is trying to be. Kohli and the players are always welcome to put their point across,” the official said.Rai heads a committee of administrators appointed by India’s Supreme Court to run BCCI affairs and reform the world’s wealthiest cricket governing body.Currently the national squad has three salary grades, with Kohli and other senior players at the top. “We have modified it and have started a process where we consult the players,” said Rai. “We had two rounds of consultation and we will do another one just before the Delhi Test,” Rai, former Comptroller and Auditor General of India, added. India start the third Test against Sri Lanka on Saturday.Rai has backed Kohli’s criticism of the scheduling of tours and the issue is expected to be discussed at the meeting.Kohli had hit out at BCCI, ahead of the second Test in Nagpur, for better planning of tours, especially ahead of an important series in South Africa starting in January.India will finish their home series against Sri Lanka on December 24 with the third Twenty20 before leaving for South Africa on December 28. Kohli is to be rested for the one-day games against Sri Lanka.They are to play a two-day warm-up match starting December 30 before taking on the Proteas in the first Test from January 5.last_img read more

GBA counts loss of millions as IOC cancels Olympic Qualifier Boxing in Argentina

first_img… Guyana’s five-member team Olympic dreams in limboTHE Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) has been informed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Americas Boxing Confederation (AMBC) that the Americas Olympic Qualifier for boxing has been cancelled because of fear of spread of the Coronavirus.The Qualifier was scheduled for March 26 to April 4 in Buenos Aries, Argentina. Guyana was scheduled to send a team of five boxers and three coaches to the tournament.It follows a move from the Government of Argentina to restrict international events in the country with immediate effect.The boxing tournament at Tokyo 2020 will be run by an International Olympic Committee (IOC) task force after the International Boxing Association was stripped of involvement for a series of governance issues.The IOC Boxing Task Force (BTF) announced the decision yesterday, the latest in a long list of events that have been cancelled because of COVID-19.“The BTF understands and respects the decision taken by the public authorities of Argentina during this difficult time worldwide.  We are searching for the appropriate solution for this unexpected situation and will immediately inform the National Olympic Committees, National Federations and other impacted parties as soon as further information is available,” the task force said in a statement.Canada-based Taveena Kum is the lone female on Guyana’s five-member team.Officials now face a headache in creating a fair qualification system for all athletes, with the African event in Dakar already completed and the Asia-Oceania competition finished in Amman yesterday.GBA president Steve Ninvalle called the cancellation a major setback but reasoned that it was done for the safety of all involved.“We have already spent a hefty sum securing tickets and insurance for the boxers and coaches. Those moneys are not refundable. We had also timed preparation of four of the boxers to peak just before the Qualifier. We will now have to await information from the IOC regarding if there would be a rescheduling,” Ninvalle said.“The spread of the Coronavirus is a very serious issue and for that alone we accept without reservation the decision to cancel the tournament,” said the GBA head.With the support of the Guyana Olympic Association (GOA) and the Government of Guyana, GBA dispatched Keevin Allicock, Desmond Amsterdam, Colin Lewis and Dennis Thomas for a three-month trading stint in Cuba.The stint is scheduled to conclude next week. They would have been joined by Canada-based Taveena Kum at the Qualifiers. The coaches were Terrence Poole MS, Sebert Blake and Cuban Francisco Roldan. Ninvalle said that he has sent off a message informing the boxers and had called president of GOA, K. Juman-Yassin to update him. Efforts to contact Director of Sport Christopher Jones proved futile.Meanwhile, Ninvalle informed that in light of the recent cancellation, GBA is planning an international card for early April, stating that “we have to make sure that at least the four from Cuba remain active. I am in discussion with Trinidad and hopefully by weekend we will have concrete information”.last_img read more

Sunderland 0 – 2 Liverpool

first_imgA controversial penalty and a touch of brilliance from Luis Suarez handed Liverpool victory over Sunderland.The Black Cats fell behind to a Dirk Kuyt first-half penalty after John Mensah had fouled Jay Spearing.Referee Kevin Friend had awarded a free-kick before pointing to the spot after noting the linesman’s decision.Suarez doubled the lead after the break when he powered in from a tight angle before Sunderland’s Mensah was shown red for pulling back Suarez.That was the bitter icing of a tasteless cake for Sunderland, who also lost three players during the match because of injuries.The Black Cats will not want to look at the table either. Having now lost five of their last six, Steve Bruce’s men may now start looking over their shoulder rather than ahead. Meanwhile, Liverpool will still be hoping to steal the fifth European spot – although they will not be wholly pleased with their performance.Sunderland were the livelier of the teams in the opening 20 minutes and first to the second ball against a side who still seemed to be suffering from the exertions and the disappointment of their midweek Europa League exit.Despite their inability to conjure a threat in open play, Kenny Dalglish’s side looked dangerous on set-pieces, especially with £35m giant striker Andy Carroll present up front.Before the penalty, Liverpool had the best chances to take the lead – with the former Newcastle man involved in the first instance.Raul Meireles pinged a corner to the back post which the tall forward nodded back into the six-yard area for Dirk Kuyt. The Dutchman’s swept shot goalwards was brilliantly saved point-blank by Simon Mignolet. From the following corner, Kuyt headed over the bar from 12 yards.The Black Cats found space on the wings and managed to despatch the ball into the Liverpool area but more often than not the visiting defence coped easily with what was thrown at them.The one moment they relied on a bit of luck was when Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck combined beautifully down the left before Welbeck swung in a delicious ball across the area, which Kieran Richardson only just failed to get a toe to.It was Richardson’s last action of significance, as he came off the pitch to be replaced by Steed Malbranque. The home side had already made one enforced change when they replaced the injured Sulley Muntari with Lee Cattermole.If Sunderland thought their run of bad luck was over, they were made to think again when Liverpool were awarded a penalty. Mensah’s poor chest control allowed Spearing to steal before he was brought down by the Sunderland player.Referee Friend pointed to a free-kick before changing his mind, much to the fury of Sunderland boss Bruce on the touchline. But the decision had been made and Kuyt duly placed the ball to the left of Mignolet.The Reds, buoyed by scoring, came close to adding another when Luis Suarez’s low half volley had to be palmed away by the Sunderland keeper.The Uruguayan had better luck after the break, although his strike owed more to audacity than fortune.The midfielder was picked out by Kuyt’s throw-in on the right and drove down the byline before cheekily thrashing the ball over the head of a crouching Mignolet from the tightest of angles. Up to that point, Sunderland had only managed a couple of curling efforts from Malbranque and Jordan Henderson that failed to trouble keeper Pepe Reina.They had also lost forward Welbeck because of another injury during the second period.And with the eight minutes of the match remaining, Sunderland’s miserable day was compounded with the sending off of Mensah for pulling back Suarez, who was through on goal.Source: BBClast_img read more