U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andre Pazmino and his family will vacation in Ocean City courtesy of the American Legion Post 524. (Photos provided by Doug Otto) By Doug OttoOcean City American Legion Post 524 welcomed another service member to “America’s Greatest Family Resort” on Saturday, May 18, when it honored U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant Andre Pazmino and his family for a week’s vacation, courtesy of the organization’s Rest & Relaxation Program.The Pazmino family was honored during a lunchtime welcoming ceremony at Post 524, located at 4562 West Ave., following a police and fire department motorcade and an escort into town by the Legion Riders.The family will be given the use of a free condominium for the week, as well as a multitude of gifts from local Ocean City businesses as a way to say, “Thank you for your service and sacrifice.”“This is the sixth consecutive year that Ocean City’s American Legion Post 524 has hosted military service personnel and their families while they enjoy our shore community and its many amenities,” said Jerry Bonner, chairman of the R&R Committee.Pazmino, a 13-year veteran of the Air Force, was deployed to Iraq and most recently Somalia, Africa. Serving out of a joint base, McGuire/Dix/Lakehurst, he is a resident of Queens, N.Y.“I am truly appreciative of this honor and the generosity of the American Legion,” Pazmino said. “This means so much to my family and me.”Staff Sergeant Pazmino is awarded a Quilt of Valor by the South Jersey Quilts of Valor Foundation for his years of service.Attending the ceremony with Pazmino, were his 6-year-old son, Mason, and his 5-year-old daughter, Isabella, his parents and sister.A multitude of gifts, such as dinners at local restaurants and product baskets, as well as accommodations, such as free parking passes and free admission to the Cape May County Zoom, have been donated by Ocean City businesses.During the week, Pazmino and his family will receive the keys to the city from Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian.“The Veterans Rest & Relaxation Program began in 2013 as a way to pay tribute to servicemen and women for sacrifices made during their time in the military,” Bonner said. “Whenever military personnel are deployed, their families also share in that deployment and we support their efforts as well.”Post 524 veteran Steve Cole presents Mason and Isabella Pazmino with a commendation medal and a special citation for demonstrating strength while their father was deployed overseas.Rest and Relaxation Program Chairman Jerry Bonner thanks Ray and Eraena Gogola for donating their Ocean City condo to the Pazmino family.
Family-owned firm Walkers Shortbread saw its sales increase – but profits remain static – as it hit by global commodity price rises.It was revealed at the weekend that the Aberlour-based Walkers managed to grow turnover by 12.1%, to £119m in 2011.However, its pre-tax profits stood at £8.9m as margins fell from 8.5% to 7.2%. Margins had been 9.9% the year before, and a fall in profits in 2010 was also blamed on rising flour prices and other raw material costs.Walkers, which exports its products to 80 countries, explained that turnover had increased both at home and abroad. Revenue from abroad accounts for 41% of turnover, it added.
SOHO Coffee Co is opening its debut site in London, after partnering with WH Smith to open an outlet at Euston Station.This is the first shared-store format between the coffee brand and WH Smith Travel, following pilots with WH Smith High Street.The site will offer Fairtrade coffee and hot breakfast sandwiches to go. SOHO Coffee Co director Penny Manuel said: “As a market-leading travel brand, WH Smith has recognised the opportunity that exists to deliver rail passengers a fast, one-stop-shop for their newspapers and magazines, as well as a quality, branded coffee, hot breakfast and bakery offer.“Being firmly established in the travel sector within the UK and internationally ourselves, we’re thrilled to make our London debut with WH Smith Travel and within one of the City’s busiest rail hubs.”Ian Sanders, group business development director for WHSmith added: “We are very much looking forward to providing time-pressed customers in travel locations with the service and product range they expect from WH Smith, alongside the added convenience of easy access to a high-quality coffee shop experience.”
Source: M&SColin the CaterpillarM&S is taking legal action over similarities between its Colin the Caterpillar cake and Aldi’s rival product Cuthbert the Caterpillar.Both cakes are chocolate sponge rolls with solid chocolate covering, white chocolate faces and sweet decoration. M&S believes its competitor’s product represents a trademark infringement and has filed a claim with the High Court.The Colin the Caterpillar cake, first introduced in 1990, has spawned multiple spin-off products for M&S (see below), including a female version called Connie the Caterpillar, launched in 2016.“At M&S we are passionate about creating the highest quality, most innovative food for our customers – whether that is 100% British sourced meat or iconic products like Colin the Caterpillar, Percy Pig and our Glitter Gin Globe,” an M&S spokesperson said.“Because we know the M&S brand is special to our customers and they expect only the very best from us, love and care goes into every M&S product on our shelves. So we want to protect Colin, Connie and our reputation for freshness, quality, innovation and value.”Aldi was contacted by British Baker for comment on the legal action but said it had ‘nothing to add’. Source: M&SColin the Caterpillar cake jarsAccording to M&S, Colin has attended over 10 million birthdays since 1990. Earlier this year, Tate commented on similar products sold by rival retailers and told British Baker: “Imitation is the most sincere kind of flattery.” Source: M&SThe original Colin the Caterpillar cake from 1990Colin – the making of an iconThe original Colin the Caterpillar cake, which celebrated its 30th birthday last year, was developed through a collaboration between M&S and Park Cakes.According to Natalie Tate, M&S baker product developer, the brief was to create ‘something different’ for children’s birthday parties that could be easily portioned and have wide appeal.The recipe has remained largely the same although the look of the product has evolved over the last three decades. For example, the original fondant face has been replaced with the white chocolate version and six matching boots have been added.In addition to Connie, the female version, special editions of the cake have been produced for occasions such as Christmas, Easter and Halloween.Spin off products include the recently launch Colin the Caterpillar cupcakes, cake jars and button biscuits, as well as a Mother’s Day version of Connie.
___________________________________________________________________________________________Comments are currently unavailable. We’re working on the development of a NASCAR fan forum – please stay tuned.
Use plastic cups to measure the water your sprinkler applies. Be sure your system irrigates uniformly. And measure the time it takes to apply an inch of water.A ruler helps check the height of your lawn mower blade. Each lawn grass has a preferred mowing height, which helps it conserve moisture.Heavy fertilizing can make drought damage worse, so be sure to calibrate your spreader properly. Consider halving half your application rate when drought is in the forecast. Photo: UGA CAES Host Walter Reeves reveals how much you can learn from the back of a little seed packet on “Gardening in Georgia” June 1 on Georgia Public Television.”Gardening in Georgia” is co-produced by GPTV and the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. The Saturday show airs at noon and again at 7 p.m.With the few square inches on the back of a seed packet, Reeves shows how to understand the recommended hardiness zones, planting dates and days to maturity.He defines determinate and indeterminate tomatoes, too. (The former bear their fruit all at once and are best for canning. The latter bear fruit all summer and are best for fresh eating.)Gardening ToolsReeves takes a look at garden tools, too. He shows how to use self-propelled tillers, front-tine tillers and handy two-cycle models.Some simple tools are helpful in a drought: Finally, Hank Bruno, the trails manager at Callaway Gardens, shows Reeves how to double rhododendrons blooms next year. He shows how to twist the faded blooms from the branch tips, causing up to four new buds to grow in that spot. Each new tip can bear a flower next spring. Walter Reeves
Coal groups battle bailout tag, up lobbying efforts on ‘value’ FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Washington Examiner:The coal industry is ramping up a campaign this summer to erase the “bailout” label that has become synonymous with the Trump administration’s push to save economically ailing coal power plants, while reinforcing the case for keeping coal in the nation’s energy mix.“We are just trying to correct the record,” said Michelle Bloodworth, the newly appointed president and CEO of the pro-coal industry group American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity. Bloodworth’s group is upping its efforts this summer to reverse the characterizations that accounting for the value of the coal fleet would constitute a subsidy or government-backed bailout for the coal industry.A coalition of trade organizations representing every sector from oil and natural gas to solar panel manufacturers has opposed the idea of using either market-based incentives or rarely invoked emergency powers to keep coal plants from closing over the next three years.“We are trying to say, we don’t think it is” a bailout, said Bloodworth. “We think it’s more about ‘valuing,’ and that can be done in a market approach” that rewards “attributes” of coal plants that help the grid and consumers.The National Mining Association is also looking to draw support for keeping the nation’s coal fleet operational, blaming the markets for favoring one form of energy over another. “We are heading towards a reliability and resiliency crisis point of no return,” said an official with the mining trade group speaking on background.An additional 12,000 megawatts of coal-fired electricity is expected to close by the end of this year. “That’s enough capacity to power 8 million homes,” the official said. “We need decisive action to preserve the reliable, affordable energy that continues to slip away each day.”More: Coal groups dig in to save power plants
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York [dropcap]G[/dropcap]ermany on Thursday joined a growing list of nations to approve military support against the self-declared Islamic State in the wake of high-profile attacks outside Syria. Germany’s parliament overwhelmingly approved a non-combat measure that would send reconnaissance jets and personnel to buttress France’s own war against the Islamic State, also know as ISIS or ISIL. The vote came on the same day the United Kingdom carried out its first air strikes against the apocalyptic militant group after its own parliament one day earlier approved the bombing campaign during a contentious debate on whether or not to get involved. Both Germany and the UK decided to act in response to the vicious assault in Paris that left 130 dead three weeks ago.The two nations join Russia and France as countries that have given their respective armed forces some measure of authority to get involved in the conflict. In the case with Russia, however, President Vladimir Putin has been accused of targeting rebels seeking to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al Assad in order to prop up the embattled president’s regime. Meanwhile, after more than a year of combating the bloodthirsty terror organization through an intense air bombing campaign, the United States Congress—the only government branch authorized to approve war—has yet to even hold a vote on the country’s ongoing war against ISIS. Critics charge that Congress has largely abdicated its duty, even as elected officials and presidential candidates call for a more forceful response against ISIS. The lack of war authorization hasn’t stopped the Obama administration from targeting ISIS in both Syria and Iraq. The White House is currently relying on war authorization from 2001 and 2002, both implemented in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, to justify bombing ISIS positions. Aside from this campaign, the White House announced in October that it would deploy several dozen US Special Forces to advise moderate forces fighting ISIS. Civil liberties groups have argued that the authorization to use military force (AUMF) from 2001 and 2002 are both overbroad and outdated. The former was authorized under President George W. Bush to use force against those responsible for 9/11, meaning al Qaeda. ISIS did not exist at the time, and although it was borne out of al Qaeda, it was disavowed last year by the terrorist organization. And the 2002 AUMF approved use of force against Iraq. After the White House announced deployment of US Special Forces, several members of Congress said it was time to officially authorize war against ISIS. The White House in February proposed its own version that would authorize a three-year offensive against ISIS and any “associated forces” or “closely-related successor.” It would also sunset the 2002 AUMF. But Congress has yet to hold a vote on its merits. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Ca), the Ranking Member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, who proposed his own AUMF last January, tried to force Congress to debate war authorization as part of an amendment to a defense appropriations bill in June, but it was rejected. Schiff has been one of the most outspoken critics of Congress’ inaction on the issue. “I applaud Prime Minister Cameron for urging his nation to join the fight against ISIS in Syria by providing British bombers to attack the terror organization’s targets,” Schiff told the Press in a statement Friday through a spokesman. “And the British Parliament deserves credit for doing something the US Congress has yet to undertake, and that is, allow a full debate and vote on the war effort. British air support in Syria would add an important new contribution to defeating ISIS and ending its stranglehold on the people of Iraq and Syria.” Locally, Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford), chairman of the House Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, believes “We should go all out but do not need authorization,” his spokesman said in an email. Although the Obama administration has stated it believes it currently has proper authorization to justify its war on ISIS, it still sought a vote from Congress to ostensibly demonstrate a united front. During an address to the nation Sunday night, Obama reiterated his desire for Congress to act. “If Congress believes, as I do, that we are at war with ISIL, it should go ahead and vote to authorize the continued use of military force against these terrorists,” Obama told America, four days after 14 people were killed in an ISIS-inspired shooting in Southern California. “For over a year, I have ordered our military to take thousands of airstrikes against ISIL targets. I think it’s time for Congress to vote to demonstrate that the American people are united, and committed, to this fight.” Schiff has taken the position that if US officials are willing to tell service members to go to war, that Congress should at least be able to hold a vote. “If this is worth fighting ISIS, and I believe it is,” Schiff said on the House floor back in June, “it’s worth having Congress do its job.”
Typically, OA’s school buses can fit 70 students, but this fall, the district’s goal is to have no more than 23 kids on board at one time. (WBNG) — While schools are figuring out how to social distance in the classroom this fall, another challenge districts are tackling is how to social distance on a school bus. Masks are required for everyone on board and drivers will go through a health screening each day. Transportation director Anthony Quaranta says filing through that data has been one of the biggest difficulties. Social distancing efforts are also in place. They’ll be cutting the number down by changing routes and adding runs. The transportation department is also putting a new strategy in place when it comes to kids boarding the bus. Seats are marked with red tape, so students know to alternate between window and aisle seats. Owego-Apalachin asked parents to fill out a survey to determine how many students would need busing if they attended school in-person. “We’re going to load from the back to the front and try to limit people walking past each other as much as possible. Obviously it’s not a perfect system because we don’t want pre-K kids and kindergarteners to have to go all the way to the back of the bus by themselves, so there will be a little bit of that but we’re going to try and limit it as much as possible.” said Quaranta. “We are a mass transportation system. We transport more people every single day than airlines and trains and planes do, everyday. But now we’ve got to cater it and individualize it to every single student that comes in, based on their needs and where they have to go,” he said.
“We’re going to end up with great rookies because we’ve got two years of a rookie class. Our area is going to see Mike Weir, Ernie Els, Phil Michelson hopefully,” he said. ENDICOTT (WBNG) — The DICK’s Sporting Goods Open will return next summer with an earlier date than usual. The 2021 DICK’s Open will run from June 28 to July 4. The event will be played as part of the Champions Tour’s combined 2021-21 schedule. The purse is $2,050,000. The 2021 event will mark 50 years of professional golf in Broome County. “We’re going to have a lot of “do you remember footage,” and some great memories,” said Karedes. “I believe our community is going to enjoy a lot of the things they see.” “UHS Health expo, fireworks, 5K run, all of those items still will accompany the tournament week,” said Karedes. “Now we have something to work for,” said tournament director John Karedes. “It isn’t that we’re out actively selling for the 2021 event right now but at least people can put it on their calendar, they can plan accordingly, and we can too.” “Whether it’s digital ticketing going forward, or utilizing some sort of cashless system. Those are the sort of things that now we had the time to really investigate and put into play for our future,” he said. Since this year’s tournament was canceled, Karedes said the attention shifted to making 2021 a better and safer tournament. Karedes said everything depends on what New York state allows next June, but they intend to have a full slate of events. Karedes said the field of players will make the 2021 tournament to the next level. He also said he’s heard from the majority of the annual field, and expects early commitments. “The guys want to help out. They want to show the community they’re coming back and coming back stronger than ever,” he said. Karedes said the DICK’s Open will wait until after January 1 for hard sponsorship selling, and a lot of planning will depend on if the state allowing crowds and fans at other events.